peanut allergy

Peanut Allergy: How do you Know You Have it? What do you do About It?

peanut allergy

Peanut and nut allergies are quite common today, especially in schools. Maybe you have seen signs that peanuts or nut products are not allowed in a certain classroom or area. Cafeterias, especially school cafeterias cannot have products that have been used or manufactured with or around nuts. Treats brought in to offices and classrooms have to be carefully made to keep a coworkers or students allergy in mind. But what exactly is a peanut allergy? What are the symptoms and what can you do about it?

A peanut allergy is common, especially among children (mayoclinic). An allergic reaction usually occurs within minutes of exposure to peanuts. Symptoms include skin reactions such as rashes, tingling or itching in or around the throat and/or mouth, runny nose, shortness of breath, wheezing, it can even lead to anaphylaxis—a serious medical condition where a person’s throat can close or they can stop breathing (mayoclinic).

Talk to your physician or a medical professional if you or someone close to you might have a peanut reaction. If you see someone having a reaction to peanuts, call 911. If you or someone close has a severe peanut allergy alert their school or place of business. Keep them away from any peanut related items. Let those who may serve them food or be in the immediate area know about the severity of the allergy. Read all the food labels to make sure no peanuts or peanut products are contained. You can live a normal healthy life if these precautions are followed.

Leave a Reply